Embroidery With Kids

I've written a lot about embroidery with kids in the past.  The posts are scattered throughout and I thought it might be helpful to have them all here in a tidy little post of their own.  So, here is goes.  Follow the links for specifics and examples.
Getting Started
This post shares the my philosophy and supplies for embroidering with kids.
Start Sewing
This is the basics.  You'll learn about stitches, and some tips for embroidering with kids.
Embroidering With a Group
Here, I give tips for sewing with several kids at once.  I have 16 kids in my classroom.  We start off in small groups of 3 or 4 and by the end, I'm sewing with the whole class at once.  Dauting at first, but with a little planning and a lot of patience, it can be done! 

This post also features some "oops" moments in embroidery which I showed my class - very helpful for solving problems and avoiding mistakes.

Projects
Ideas for embroidering with kids.  I think it goes beyond just the sewing - it's making something useful.  Why are you embroidering in the first place??

We Embroidered!
My first embroidery post - the pillow for Mother's Day project still holds true and I can't seem to get past it.  I use this post to show my class the process of making an embroidered pillow.
I know that I'll continue to post about embroidery with kids - they love it and often dive right in.  Embroidery not only allows for creativity, but requires patience and enhances fine motor skills.  And what a sense of pride these kids have when they give their moms their pillows.  I also know that our moms loved the pillows we sewed for them this year!

No comments: