Weaving Paper Placemats
Figuring out the measurements can be the trickiest part of this project. So, here is a quick tutorial to get you started (as well as to document it for my use later!). We prepared everything for our kindergarten class, but older kids could probably do a lot on their own.
1. We used the large sized construction paper (12x18). Fold in half and use a ruler to mark a straight down the edges. You will not cut past this line.
2. Mark the folded edge every 2 inches.
3. Cut from the marks on the fold to the straight line you drew. (If you are concerned about straight lines, you can draw them with a ruler.)
4. Open it up and you have a weaving mat!
5. Time to make strips to weave with. Each mat takes about 9 strips.
6. Cut your paper strips using regular sized construction paper (9x12). Cut strips 1-1/2 inches wide and 12 inches long. (So you measure across the 9 inch side)
Now you can begin to weave! Remember the key is how you start at the beginning - under, over, under, over...