Arctic Region Animals - Mural

We ended our study of Arctic Region Animals in a big way - with a giant mural in the hallway. Everyone made an Arctic animal of their own - many of them life size.

In making the animals, the kids were not allowed to use markers or crayons only paper and other materials attached with glue or tape. They used pencils and chalk to draw the animal shapes on large pieces of butcher paper, cut them out, then embellished with construction paper, yarn, and/or batting. They then thought about the habitat of the animal - does it live on land, in water, in a burrow, or cave? Many groups, such as the polar bears, worked together to create their habitat. The large group of narwhals were inspired by this photograph when adding their large animals to the mural.

We decided to make our scene at night to include the Northern Lights which became a fascination of the class. The lights are made with tissue paper and pipe cleaners.

I have to say, it looks fantastic in the hallway- I'm so proud of the class!

Thanks for indulging me while I documented this process. I really enjoyed thinking it through and having all the information in one place. Next week, we'll be back to sewing!

2 comments:

ariana. said...

Hello Amie!
Thank you so much for your kind words on my little blog. I hope you enjoy making the craft. I was a kindergarten teacher as well before I became a Mama two years ago. I am so glad that I connected to your blog. It is lovely and so fun to look at!
I hope you have a wonderful week!
Cheers,
Ariana

Lulu said...

Wow! This mural is awesome and inspiring. There is nothing like communal art in big bold colours - fantastic work.