Scrappy Quilt

Phoebe sewed her very first quilt!  It's a little lap quilt, but is a real quilt!  She's been snuggling with it nightly.  We took the Adult/Child Quilting Workshop at Sew Memphis and had fun with teacher Pannay Guigley as she guided the class filled with mother-daughter pairs along.  I acted as Phoebe's lovely assistant.
One of Phoebe's favorite parts was using the iron.  I have to admit, I was a little nervous letting her iron, but she did a great job and was very careful.  Here, she really learned about seam allowances and making sure that the good sides are together when she sews.
After we put together all the squares, Phoebe had fun laying out the quilt.  She tried to make sure that no two same fabrics or same kind of squares touched.
Sewing the squares together.  She used my machine and the 1/4 inch foot.  I was a little worried that it would be way wonky and not come together nicely, but it did!
We made a little flip and turn quilt and tied it together with embroidery thread.  She's so proud & cozy!  You can make one too!  Follow Pannay's directions.

Now, while I may have been able to do this with her at home, I will say that having dedicated time (it was a 3 week class) as well as having someone else help us along the way was wonderful.  You might know how it can be trying to help your own child at times.  I hope this is the first of many more mother/daughter classes!

No comments: