I am in love with our heart tapestry! We started it at Valentine's, but I am just getting around to posting about it.
Instead of the usual burlap base, I put muslin on the tapestry table. The kids cut out hearts from felt and used craft thread and #22 chenille needles to sew them onto the tapestry. This required a little bit more skill than using the big tapestry needles and yarn, but most kids did well since we have sewn so much this year.
The work started slowly at first. Each sewing on a single heart.
By the second week, everyone was excited about it and added more and more hearts and little embellishments to the hearts already on the tapestry.
We took the muslin off the table and hemmed the edges. A few loops of rick-rack hang it up.
Details of a few hearts. Little stitches and stacked hearts.