Repurposed Quilt


Each year, the Third Grade puts together a class quilt inspired by their reading of Little House in the Big Woods. They use donated or cast off fabric to make the squares and discuss the placement of each square in great detail. After making the top, Mrs. Bell recruited me to do the quilting. I used a thrifted sheet for the backing and made a simple binding.



Last year I just tied the quilt, but this year, I tried my hand at machine quilting. I made 6 circles to go against the squares. I kept reminding myself that it was for a class quilt and my first try. I discovered that machine quilting was a little harder than I imagined. I'll have to give it another go.

Being in Third Grade and reading Little House books on a handmade quilt sounds so perfect right now.

2 comments:

RobbieLee at Chickiedee said...

you did a great job on that quilt; it' beautiful with the circles. So, what happens to the quilt at the end of the year? Thanks for sharing!

Amie Plumley said...

Thanks for your kind words. The kids put the squares together, I just did the binding and machine quilting.

I think they keep the quilt in the classroom for several years - they use them to sit on to read and play games. Seeing the 3rd graders hanging out on their class quilts makes the classroom very homey.