Story Time

During camp, we read several books that involved sewing and handcrafts. These are books that I have found inspiration from as well.

Hands by Lois Ehlert

Lois Ehlert is truly a kindred spirit. Each time I read this book, I am reminded of how important it is to have the freedom to be creative at a young age. One of my favorite pages is about sewing cat toys with her mom. I designed a simple cat toy pattern for school and camp based on the image - the kids love it. Tutorial coming soon!

Mother Earth and Her Children: A Quilted Fairy Tale by Sibylle Von Olfers, illustrations by Sieglinde Schoen Smith

The campers poured over the quilted illustrations in this new book. If you haven't seen it, you must! The work is truly amazing.

Mrs. Noah's Patchwork Quilt by Janet Bolton

Sadly, this book is out of print. Janet Bolton was a big, big influence on me right out of college. While my aesthetic has changed, I took from her the idea that one can draw with cloth and needle. The book is a story about a patchwork quilt Mrs. Noah made to pass time while on the ark. A pattern for the quilt is included.

Joseph Had a Little Overcoat by Simms Taback

This Caldecott Award book is a great way to talk about recycling and using old clothing to make something new.

No comments: